It was around lunch time and I decided I wanted to make some soup. These days I am trying to eat mostly Paleo and of course Gluten Free so I was looking for something that could fit into both of those categories. Then I saw that Butternut Squash on my counter top and it hit me! Yes! What could be more Fall than Butternut Squash soup? Let me tell you, this is one of the first times I have ever made this soup and it was absolutely delish! Roasting the vegetables creates such a deep, succulent flavor.
Here's how I made it:
I peeled & chopped a large butternut squash (about 5 lbs.), 1 granny smith apple, 2 large carrots, and a small vidalia onion. Then placed them in a large bowl and tossed with extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Next, I spread them over two cookie sheets and baked in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
1 Large Butternut Squash (about 5 lbs.), peeled and chopped
1 Small Vidalia Onion, chopped
2 Large carrots, chopped
1 Granny Smith applie, peeled and chopped
3 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
Salt & Pepper
1. Peel and Chop the butternut squash, carrots, apple, and onion and put into a large bowl. Add the olive oil and spices and mix to coat all the veggies.
2. Transfer the veggies to 2 large cookie sheet pans and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
3. When the veggies are done, heat up the coconut oil over medium high heat, add all of the veggies, and the 3 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the veggies until smooth. Make sure to be extra careful if you are using a regular blender and hold down the lid with a kitchen towel to prevent splatters and burning.
6. Once the soup is blended, transfer to a bowl and enjoy!
* This soup makes about 8 cups and will last in the refrigerator about a week and in the freezer for 6 months .